I work for a carbon offsetting company. AMA

Hi Kai,
Thanks for doing this AMA! How do you deal with clients who move directly to offsetting without addressing their impacts?

1 Like

I think tracking over time helps to address the impact! You have to know where you start to see where you’re going.

2 Likes

Ok. So, there is no official standard, or at least, I don’t know any. For myclimate, all relevant emissions contributors must be covered. It is not enough to ask only for the number of participants, their transport, food and accommodation, even though these are usually the main contributors. Secondly, our calculation experts have to check and confirm the given data (for larger clients, we also do a third party check of our calculation and - if necessary—the calculation methodology. There will always be a certain grade of insecurity, but that should be fine.

1 Like

Hi Laura,
You need to know the distance the attendee is travelling and their mode of transport. A starting postcode and ending postcode or zipcode would help with this. See this article or this thread for carbon emissions associated with different forms of transport.

2 Likes

Great question. We serve them. But we try to convince them to look after their emissions and to establish a reduction strategy. The best option is to avoid CO2 emissions, offsetting is always the second-best option. If a partner decides to offset, great, because he takes on the responsibility to his or her emissions, but the focus should be on how to reduce the existing footprint. Do your best, and offset the rest.

1 Like

That’s absolutely true.

1 Like

:smiley: That’s a wrap folks! Thank you so much Kai for sharing your expertise and thanks everybody for all of your questions.

If you have any other questions for Kai, you can contact him on here @KaiRassmus or by email at kai.landwehr@myclimate.org

Join us in the Green Room same time next week for another Ask Me Anything!

Hi Kai, sorry I had to pop out! Yes, I get what you mean ;.) Thanks a lot for the tips!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer Legacy team and thanks for hosting the session!

1 Like