Introduce yourself to the Green Room community!

Hello everyone! I am Nyomi Rose an events management student at Manchester Metropolitan University currently going into my final year eek! I am a Marketing Manager and Events Coordinator for AI Tech North and Blogger on Instagram/TikTok and LinkedIn sharing my events industry insight, knowledge and journey. I love the world of tech and AI but i am more concerned with the ethics, bias and disparity and how we can continually identify and improve our intelligence on making AI for good for the people and the planet. I also have way too many side hustles at the moment but i am always looking to explore opportunities. With the recent #BLM movement it has sparked me to become even more actively conscious as an #eventprof making sure i choose to work with clients/companies that are approaching sustainability in a positive way. As well as being aware of the lack of diversity and inclusion within events. Great to be part of this forum and i look forward to expanding my connections with other like-minded professionals! Nyomi Rose :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, My name is Sara Franzini Gabrielli. I have been an university researcher and an international event professional for the last five years with expertise in sustainable project management for some Sports Events as Summer Universiade Games, Motor sport events, Word Championships and European Championships.
My track record clearly shows success in the following areas: improving efficiency and sustainability, plan social media schedule, project management and and HR organisation, as well as, be diplomat when needed to carefully solve general or politics complaints.
Operational delivery has ranged from organising and supervising Arrivals and Departures, Media, Operation and others, delivered working with multiple agencies and stakeholders environment.
This is exactly what I do best and enjoy most. When it comes to performing a big project, a company usually expects an error-free result. I mention this because my multi-events experience will help me to always see the “big picture” and adjust the approach accordingly.

I’m working now on some projects with Public Authorities, sports organizations, to implement sustainability in their strategies and actions.

My biggest challenge is that people still don’t really know what sustainability is so I have always to educate first and convince then that it’s not a cost but a long term investment.
Let’s keep in touch and share our ideas!

2 Likes

My name is Françoise and I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

I am a theatre and arts events production and stage manager. I try to influence my arts community to become more environmentally sustainable via my Facebook Page The French Brace: via that page I assist companies to save resources by assisting them to give away (and sometimes sell) stuff they no longer want. Many people on the page are arts people and teachers so that resources go to people who are often keen recyclers and trying to save money. I also share information on sustainable behaviour, recycling possibilities and other interesting posts about greening theatre and events.
I am currently mostly unemployed due to COVID-19 but working with a few arts organisations to clean up their stores or offices now that we can go back to those places. Also working on a website for The French Brace.
My main challenge is getting arts companies to understand why it is important to address sustainability as part of core business. In my dream world all companies would have a link on their website listing all the small and bigger actions they are taking in this realm. In Australia we are lagging behind the UK in this realm.

2 Likes

Hi @nyomirose, welcome to the forum! You’ve raised some really interesting ideas about AI and ethics, and also about lack of diversity in the events industry. Could you start a conversation on these on this forum? I’m sure other eventprofs would like to discuss.

1 Like

Hi @Sara_Franzini, welcome! So pleased to have an eventprof with sporting event expertise on the forum!

We agree with your challenges and actually find “sustainability” to be quite a clunky term. Perhaps you could start a topic on here for eventprofs to come up with an alternative word to sustainability that is easier for people to understand? :grin:

Hi @FrancoisePiron, thanks for joining us! Sorry to hear that you are currently unemployed, it’s such a difficult time for those working in events. We have a jobs board where we post opportunities that we come across related to sustainable events so please do keep an eye on that. We hope work picks up for you soon.

Please do share the French Brace website when is ready! Did you see our Ask Me Anything session last week, all about how to design a sustainable website?

Hi folks, thanks very much for inviting me, really appreciate the forum & opportunity :slight_smile:
I’m a sustainable event manager and had my business Climate Wave Enterprises since 2008. I’m also a volunteer director with Sustainable Event Alliance and Surfrider Foundation.
I live on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
The only work I have going currently is zero waste management for a local farmers market.
From what I can tell I’m not the only one with the problem of getting people/organisers to value SEM above the dollar.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, thank you for the invitation to this community!

I am from Portugal, the beautiful Lisbon is my home.
I have been working as an event producer for 15 years, specially as a stage manager or doing artistic direction in galas or cultural events. Some years ago I felt the need to make a change in my lifestyle, I became more aware of the sustainable issues and this made me rethink everything about my work. So I gather a group of sustainable warriors and started to dig some solutions into a new project: Green Mind Events (www.greenmindevents.pt).

Besides the cultural events, creating story-telling with performers for corporate companies, Sport Institutions / Federations and so on, directing Galas, we jumped into social events also. Right now I am in a transition period of my life, I took a sabbatical leave and came to the USA, to have the opportunity to work in some community theaters and also to learn as much as possible on the topic of sustainability. With all the pandemic situation I had to reset the goals so I decided also to learn more about online events.

There are several sustainable issues in producing an event in Portugal, mostly regarding the lack of options to recycling materials or finding sustainable venues. We have been developing strategies to achieve zero waste events, even on cultural events, when we have to produce scenery, for example. It is a challenge to spread new sustainable habits, sustainable caterings for example, but these topics are becoming more acceptable by the community.

Hope to learn a lot more from you all.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @LegacyTheTeam yes of course that would be great! By all means i am not an AI expert but definitely an AI enthusiast :slight_smile:
When would you like me to start the forum?

1 Like

Shall we create it as an event and try and get people to chat live at a specific time? Just create a new topic - this probably belongs in the “News and Views” area. You can create an event within the new topic just by clicking the cog symbol on the toolbar above and choosing “Create Event”

Hi @GregHowell, welcome to the Green Room! Yes there is definitely an issue with helping organisers understand the long term benefit of sustainable event management. Can you share how you have persuaded people previously?

1 Like

Hello @AnaPinheiro, great to see you in the Green Room and to have a voice from beautiful Portugal!

What have you learned about online events so far? Could you share in this conversation?

The only way I’ve found so far and I don’t recommend it and I don’t anymore was to offer my services gratis. I had been trying to convince one organiser of a big event for several years. The event runs over 10 days at various venues, so I planned and executed a zero waste system. The system was a success to which I wrote a report and sent to members of the organising group. Years later at another event the organiser approached me thinking I was just another attendee…Oh what are you doing here?..I’m managing my Eco Angels and our zero waste system. I found out my report wasn’t read back then. Oh wonderful, is this your system? We must get you involved with our future events. My team have been employed for the last 2 events and will be for the future.

1 Like

What you do : Founder of Magrada Proyectos, event agency specialized in innovative materials
Where you come from: Based in Barcelona , working all around Europe
What you’re working on: Changing metodology and practises for more circular economy - sustainable events
What challenges you have related to sustainable events : Networking with companies and professionals that want to make a change to a more sustainable events. Learn from good practises,
Lastly partnership with UK companies to be a local platform for their events production and management that are coming to Barcelona.

2 Likes

Welcome @magrada! We find networking a challenge too, especially in these unusual times. Are there any activities that you’d like us to arrange on this forum, to bring like minded event professionals together?

Hi there. I’m Mark, sales director for Conference Care, a venue finding agency based in the Midlands.
Andrew and Chris, our owners, founded the business 25 years ago and have a real passion for sustainability. we are celebrating being carbon neutral as a business for 10 years this year.
Our focus at the moment is around further education of our customers in making their events more sustainable but also highlighting sustainability to the industry as a whole.
I’m really interested in other peoples views as to how we go about this.
Mark

1 Like

Hi !
I’m a sustainable event advisor in Quebec, Canada.
I’ve been doing that for more than 15 years. I work with cities, sport events, corporate events and more.
Right now most of my work are to plan our annual event and contest : Les Vivats. We are doing this event to share content, tools, do networking on Sustainable events.

My challenges ? We have most of our clients who cannot do their events until 2021 so we have less work to do… We are working on a new topic : sustainable webinar and digital sobriety. Pretty challenging :face_with_monocle:

Caroline Voyer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/caroline-voyer-3b382610/

1 Like

What you do (please don’t pitch or sell!): Hi, I’m Susan Duncombe Founder of Secret Spaces a hand-picked collection of unique event venues in and around Areas of Oustanding Natural Beauty, many of which have great sustainability credentials.
Where you come from: I’m fortunate enough to be based in Cheltenham, on the edge of the gorgeous Cotswold countryside.
What you’re working on: Supporting our venues in this challenging time.
What challenges you have related to sustainable events (we can probably help!): We’re working hard on getting the message out there about the sustainability credentials of our venues and the benefits of running a sustainable event.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone

I am Miguel Escribano, from Spain.

I am Business Development Manager at Kunak Technologies; a start-up company; provider of Environmental Technology such as Air Quality networks and Environmental Cloud software. Lots of fun, and some frustrations.

I am two weeks away fom finishing studies in Business Sustainability Management at CISL University of Cambridge.

Since 2018, I am also helping World Athletics (formerly IAAF) with their Air Quality Program, first as a technology partner. Now as an external coordinator. It means more fun, lots of travels, many of them postponed.

Our last mission has been to monitor the Air Quality throughout the track of the 2021 Tokyo Olympics Marathon in Sapporo. More info: https://www.worldathletics.org/news/press-releases/heat-air-quality-conditions-sapporo-tokyo-oly

My main challenge is helping World Athletics advance with the new Sustainability Strategy dated April 2020.

Also, keep on learning, take a big leap in a career focused on Sustainable enabling Technology (greentech).

Best,

Miguel

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Nuria and I have been working for the travel and events industry since I can remember! Thanks to my job, I have had the opportunity to travel extensively worldwide and work with and learn from different cultures, which is something I loved!

I am passionate about the environment and making positive social change, and I want to transition to a more sustainable-related position where I can make a real, significant change.

I come from Madrid, Spain, and currently live in London, working on a project to raise awareness among companies to organise more sustainable and eco-friendly events.

One of the biggest challenges I found in this field is to help my client’s to implement sustainable practices in their supply chain…
Any tips?

I am looking forward to becoming an active and engaged member of this community!

Best,
Nuria

1 Like