I work for a carbon offsetting company. AMA

Hi STM

Please look at my previous replies.

Find a provider you trust. I would recommend to do some research and test some freely available web-based calculators. Also, have a look on projects for offsetting. As a rule of thumb, projects following the Gold Standard provide best quality and contribute to many SDG. If you are specificly looking for reforestation projects, I would recommend Plan Vivo projects.

You can split it, having a provider for the calculation and one for the offsetting. But, you can also choose a one-stop-shop.

1 Like

Thanks Kai. For this client, their budget is limited so I’ll have a look at the web calculator for now we can see how it goes in year one.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the tip Kai. From what I’ve seen audience travel is one of the main GHG contributors at an event, however I wasn’t sure which is the best way to obtain this data, thanks for your answer.

2 Likes

Thanks Kai, that’s really helpful!

2 Likes

This depends on the calculator. The number of participants, duration of the event are given inputs. From my perspective, most relevant data is the mode of transport of the event participants followed by accommodation, material consumption and catering. Also, the venue, it’s size, heated or cooled areas are essential. Most of the calculators provide average data, so you don’t have to research the data. The usability of a calculator is important.

1 Like

Yes, the projects are different. Different in terms of technology, but, of course, also of scale and project region. Provider like myclimate showcase their product portfolio online: https://www.myclimate.org/information/climate-protection-projects/, but also consult you according to your needs. Asking for the price per tonne is important. A very cheap offer could raise the same way questions like an extraordinary expensive on. I would focus on the project quality and impact (check the project standard) first. Secondly, I would try to find projects that fit my company in terms of the project region or the used technology.

1 Like

I’m just getting started with climate-neutral events…so this is very helpful. In terms of certifications…can you talk about that a bit?

1 Like
  1. mode of transportation. If you have an international audience, it’s tough to reduce your footprint because the flights of your guests contribute so much to your event’s footprint. But, we have seen fantastic improvements with partners like the Open Air Sankt Gallen, one of the biggest music festivals here. They made the arrival with the car extremely unattractive but supported at the same time public transport. They had a big shift in the modal split of their guests and so a strong reduction in their CO2 footprint.
  2. make vegetarian or vegan food as attractive as possible. Most of the time, people choose common food offers due to the lack of attractive alternatives. “Your power food dish made of fresh and local vegetables” sounds way better than “Vegetarian soup” (not the best example, but I hope you get what I mean).
  3. choose green electricity if possible
  4. Finally, very important: Sensitize your guest and your staff. People can make a difference, in the event planning, at the event and after the event.
2 Likes

Sure. But, to be sure, please clarify:
the certifications of the offsetting projects. Or the certification of a climate-neutral event?

1 Like

Specifically certifications for a carbon neutral event. There is a ton of information out there, I am trying to navigate the official standards and what is legitimate!

1 Like

Hi Kai,
Thanks for doing this AMA! How do you deal with clients who move directly to offsetting without addressing their impacts?

1 Like

I think tracking over time helps to address the impact! You have to know where you start to see where you’re going.

2 Likes

Ok. So, there is no official standard, or at least, I don’t know any. For myclimate, all relevant emissions contributors must be covered. It is not enough to ask only for the number of participants, their transport, food and accommodation, even though these are usually the main contributors. Secondly, our calculation experts have to check and confirm the given data (for larger clients, we also do a third party check of our calculation and - if necessary—the calculation methodology. There will always be a certain grade of insecurity, but that should be fine.

1 Like

Hi Laura,
You need to know the distance the attendee is travelling and their mode of transport. A starting postcode and ending postcode or zipcode would help with this. See this article or this thread for carbon emissions associated with different forms of transport.

2 Likes

Great question. We serve them. But we try to convince them to look after their emissions and to establish a reduction strategy. The best option is to avoid CO2 emissions, offsetting is always the second-best option. If a partner decides to offset, great, because he takes on the responsibility to his or her emissions, but the focus should be on how to reduce the existing footprint. Do your best, and offset the rest.

1 Like

That’s absolutely true.

1 Like

:smiley: That’s a wrap folks! Thank you so much Kai for sharing your expertise and thanks everybody for all of your questions.

If you have any other questions for Kai, you can contact him on here @KaiRassmus or by email at kai.landwehr@myclimate.org

Join us in the Green Room same time next week for another Ask Me Anything!

Hi Kai, sorry I had to pop out! Yes, I get what you mean ;.) Thanks a lot for the tips!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer Legacy team and thanks for hosting the session!

1 Like