Legacy Marketplace Launch

Your time and our world are precious. Save both.

As the events industry begins to open up again, it’s a great time to consider how we can restart events more sustainably and ‘build back better’. At the event our speakers will share:

:white_check_mark: Hacks on how to put sustainable event products to work and deliver impact

:white_check_mark: Tips and advice for hosting engaging virtual events

:white_check_mark: How you can make your own events more sustainable

You’ll also be introduced to Legacy Marketplace, an innovative online platform developed to help you organise an event using sustainable suppliers. It aims to make the event organising process easy and hassle-free whilst providing access to products and services that reduce the environmental impact of events. We look forward to meeting you on 2021-04-13T11:30:00Z!

Watch the launch live on You Tube here!

Hi everyone! The Legacy team are here on the Green Room to chat everything sustainable events!

Hi, am I in the right place for post-launch chat?

1 Like

Hello! Welcome to the Green Room! Did you enjoy the launch?

I really enjoyed the event! When will the Marketplace be operational?

Shall I explain some of the quiz answers? Please do comment so I don’t feel I am chatting to myself.

So who said in 2019 that they found the “graphic demonstration of global warming genuinely alarming.”

Most people didn’t realise that the answer was Jeremy Clarkson!

Hi Ana, thanks for joining us today! We are loading sustainable event suppliers at the moment. The Marketplace should be operational for all in the next 2 weeks.

1 Like

Will we receive an email when it is ready to go? I don’t want to miss it…

2 Likes

Which action helps to save most energy in a venue?

(a)Turning off all lights when not in the room

(b)Leaving lights on in only the rooms you are moving between.

© Putting a hamster on a treadmill to power the slides

(d) Reducing food waste from delegate meals

The correct answer is (a).

It’s really common to confuse food waste and the carbon footprint of your event. Where waste is a big issue, your carbon footprint from the venue really comes from how much energy (heat, cooling and electricity) your venue is using.

Yes absolutely - we’ll email everyone and there will be a juicy discount available to all who sign up!

Looking forward to hearing more about the quiz questions

1 Like

Hi, to introduce myself:
I’m Diana Morgan and I help us tread more lightly on our beautiful Planet Earth
My products are healthy, natural, and eco-friendly. They include gifts, baby and personal care, health & wellbeing, household, cleaning (and bulk products for businesses), and lots of items to reduce our reliance on single-use plastic.
My website: http://bit.ly/ESBSshop2019 07585 553652
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/DianaMorganChichester
And I’m a member of Extinction Rebellion and a Climate Ambassador for the National Federation of Women’s Institutes

Which of these food options has the highest carbon footprint for your delegates at events in London?

(a) Avocados from Mexico
(b) Lettuce grown in Spain
(c) Non organic beef from Scotland
(d) Mealworms from Surrey

The answer is (c). Another unintuitive answer. If you are serious about reducing the carbon footprint from food at your event, you really need to focus on WHAT you eat, not where it comes from.

Red meat (beef and lamb) has the highest impact by far.

Eating locally would only have a significant impact if transport was responsible for a large share of food’s final carbon footprint. For most foods, this is not the case.

More information here.

Hi Diana,
Welcome to the Green Room, delighted to have you here! Sounds like your gifts might be ideal for the Legacy Marketplace! Can you drop us a line at marketplace@legacy-events.com

Which of these features does NOT make an event website more sustainable?

(a) Simple printer friendly design
(b) Eco-friendly web host
(c) Using darker colours
(d) Autoplay videos and animation

The answer is (d).

The good news is that the other options ARE ways in which you can make your event website more sustainable!

Some more information here.

Hi, I’m Anne. Event Project Manager in the Philippines. I’m really interested in creating a sustainable event ( Live and Virtual). I am planning to create a virtual fashion event for sustainable clothing brands and would like to connect with event professionals who can help me make the event more sustainable.

Hi Anne,
Lovely to meet you, thanks for joining the Green Room! Did you watch the launch event?

We have quite a few fashion experts on here, I’d recommend starting a topic here called Virtual Fashion Event and asking your questions.

@PaulaM would you have some insights?

How much smaller is the carbon footprint of a virtual event compared to an in-person event?

(a) 97%
(b) 85%
(c) 22%
(d) 100%

The answer is (a). I know we love in-person events but it is undeniable that virtual events have a dramatically lower carbon footprint.

Here are some studies which gives some ideas on how to calculate the carbon footprint of your virtual event.

Yes I did! Congrats legacy team!

1 Like

Which is least sustainable?

(a) Plastic bag
(b) Long-life plastic bag
(c) Organic cotton bag
(d) Paper bag

The answer is (c).

Which is sad because who doesn’t love an organic tote bag?

A 2018 Danish study, looking at the number of times a bag should be reused before being used as a bin liner and then discarded, found that: polypropylene bags (most of the green reusable bags found at supermarkets) should be used 37 times; paper bags should be used 43 times; and. cotton bags should be used 7,100 times.

This is because they use so much water in their production. Organic cotton in particular requires 30% more resources, like water, to grow the same amount as conventional.

When taking into account other factors, like the impact of manufacturing on climate change, ozone depletion, water use, air pollution, and human toxicity, those classic, plastic shopping bags are actually the most benign of the current common options.